Monday 17 March 2008

Trying to make progress

I'm trying to get back into my knitting. First, I decided to make one of those soap jumper things - where a bar of soap is completely knit into its jacket, the theory being that as you use it, the wool felts and shrinks with the soap. I bought my boyfriend a pre-felted one for Christmas and have jealously watched him use it. He didn't think that much of it actually, but I want to try for myself.

I've been planning on making myself one for a while, and had plans of cables and fancy things. A very very cheap ball of Rowan Big Wool (I think it was - 99p in Dunelm Mills!!) spurred me to action over the weekend. Couldn't be bothered with cables when it came to it though (not a good sign). I did however make things more interesting by attempting to avoid having to do any sewing. I used the magic cast on (didn't need to look it up, I remembered how to do it after just playing round with it a few months ago to see how it worked!!), magic looped it on my Denise interchangeables (3 of the longer length cables joined together), decreased straight into the icord, then attached the other end of the icord to make the loop handle by picking up alternate stitches from near the top of the main body, and casting straight off - a complete experiment that turned out good enough. Just need to try it out now :o)

IMG_0539

Can't say I was particularly inspired though. Curses.

I also read my first ever knit-lit over the weekend, The Knitting Circle by Ann Hood. I'm generally more of a fantasy person, but fancied a change. It was a quick read but not very inspiring (which I was hoping for). The characters felt too manipulated, with extreme problems and just didn't feel 'normal' or easy to identify with. Fairly disappointing really :o( Maybe I should have read some reviews or something rather than buy something on a whim. There's a lesson there. Either that, or it's a great book and my mood is just making everything seem rubbish.

So, back to the knitting. A lonely skein of Noro Iro called to me and I decided to make a birthday gift for my parents next door neighbour. She's in her seventies but you'd never think it. I thought a bit of simple garter stitch would help me get into the swing of things so made my second Long Cut Scarf. All went well, the result is great - as expected. Tempted to keep it for myself. Didn't get into it though - what's wrong with me?

IMG_0545

Maybe my next project will help me. I've decided to make my nephew a hooded jumper for his birthday, he'll be 3 at the end of April. Cute kids clothes will surely get me back on track...

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Don't you worry that mojo will be back, probably stronger than ever - I was just like this last March!

If you're managing to finish things whilst in the doldrums just think what you'll achieve soon :o)

von said...

I realy hope you're right!