Sunday 3 February 2008

This and that...

I can't quite remember the full conversation, probably because of the shock, but the other day, my boyfriend said he didn't mind how much yarn I bought...! *sharp intake of breath* ...so long as I didn't keep it in the front room. I just wanted to log that for prosperity. I've been stopping myself having a huge yarn splurge all week!!

I'm toying with the idea of buying some of those beautiful knit picks harmony options interchangeable needles. It's a difficult one as they're not an ideal solution, and I've already got my pink Denise interchangeables, which I love dearly when it comes to functionality, but they're not the most aesthetically pleasing little things.

The thing is, the majority of the harmony needles are in sizes smaller than I generally use. At the moment I'm going through a 7mm needle phase and my hands seem to like this. They were hurting the other day when I was working on 15mm, which surprised me as I've found bigger sizes to be kinder to my hands in the past. It might be something to do with the type of needles too - my favourites at the moment are my 7mm addi turbos (80cm - the 40cm ones in the same size have a shorter needle body length and are less comfortable). The length of the needle in my hand is comfortable and I like how slippery and shiny the metal is. Would the harmony ones have the same comfortableness? Also, 7 of the 9 needles are smaller than I would use - unless my hands suddenly change their minds about what they can cope with. So that's only TWO pairs of usable needles (although I'd probably use some of smaller ones on the left when knitting in the round). I'd also probably buy some of the larger needles separately (on an as-and-when basis) which takes the price up by quite a bit. I looked into buying the bits I'd use separately, rather than starting with the full set, but it would cost even more, and Get Knitted don't seem to sell the end caps and cable keys separately - so that would be a bit of a problem. You small needle knitters have it so easy!

Anyway, enough about that. I've actually started to make some headway with some knitting for me! I've not actually made myself anything to wear yet! I'm making myself the Shopping Tunic from Twinkle's Big City Knits. Annoyingly, the pattern only goes up to a 33" bust, so I've had to do a bit of guess work to make it a little bigger. I'm also using a different weight yarn as I need it to be machine wash. I love all these gorgeous yarns, but my hands can't cope with hand washing big items, so I need to think carefully about that in my choice of yarn. I've gone for Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick in black. It's cheap, machine washable, and actually feels really nice too. I used this converter to help me recreate the pattern to my new gauge. I just hope it works out.

I'm also knitting myself a scarf. It's been a bit of an epic as I've tried and failed a few patterns. I've frogged it so many times I'm not sure the yarn can take much more. I've ditched the My So Called Scarf pattern as I made too many mistakes which I found really difficult to fix - especially with the thick and thin yarn I'm using. I've finally gone for Misti Chunky Ribs & Ruffles Scarf, it looks ok...but not great in this yarn, but sod it, I can't rip it out again, it's this or nothing!

Last weekend I finished a belated birthday gift for my neice. She's really into Harry Potter so I made her the Dark Mark Illusion Scarf. I was really pleased with it but couldn't really tell if she liked it or not...

IMG_0397

I've also started my PIF knitting, but haven't got too far, I want to finish my top first.

I think that's all for now.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Yippee for as much yarn as you can store everywhere else!

Trying to decide whether to go for one of those Knitpicks sets, they are very lovely and get such good reviews - if buying the bigger needles alone would cost more sounds like you should go for it even if you would only get occasional use from the smaller ends.