Monday 21 January 2008

Free Pattern: Camera Sock

This is a finished object that I’ve not blogged about until now. It just made it on to my finished item list of 2007 :o)

I made it one cosy evening between Christmas and New Year while I was staying at my parents house with all the family around. I used leftover yarn from my Christmas knitting – and about an hour later, I had a fab sock to keep my camera in! I got the camera from my lovely boyfriend for my Birthday in November but it didn’t come with a case and I really want to look after it well and keep it safe.

IMG_0339

I made the design off the top of my head, I knew what I wanted it to look like – long and ribbed so that it was snug and self-closing – and so I could hold the camera strap without the sock falling off. It worked out better than I could have hoped!!

Like all my other projects, I put it on Ravelry. Someone left a comment asking for the pattern – so here it is.

Let me start with a warning, I didn’t make any notes when I created the sock, so these notes are done by memory and analysis of the finished item. I’m a little concerned about the decreases – I’m fairly sure I’ve got it right, but won’t know until I knit it again (which I plan to do, maybe in stripes).

This is a quick and easy knit and needs no joining, just a couple of ends to weave in – bonus!

Size

  • To fit a camera 4 x 5 x 11 cm (give or take a few mm)

Stuff you’ll need

  • Less than 50g of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Chunky (didn’t take very much)
  • Set of 7mm double pointed needles, or a long 7mm circular needle (I used the latter and the magic loop method of circular knitting – great instructions here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtBSmxGomPk)
  • Spare 7mm needle for cast off.

Gauge

  • 15sts = 10cm

Abbreviations

  • Sts – stitches
  • K – knit
  • K2p2 – knit 2 purl 2
  • K2tog – knit 2 together

Instructions

  • Cast on 20sts using the thumb method, or other stretchy cast on – great instructions here: http://www.learn2knit.co.uk/knitting/cast-on.php (basically after a bit of negative ease so that the sock stretches around the camera – I measured the circumference of my camera to be 17.5cm, so using 20sts at the set gauge will make it stretch a bit)
  • Join round making sure the stitches aren’t twisted and place marker at the beginning of the round
  • Work in k2p2 rib until work measures about 17cm (or about 6cm longer than the length of the camera) [20sts]
  • Then knit about 6 rounds [20sts]
  • Next round: k2tog, k2, k2tog, k4, k2tog, k2, k2tog, k4 [16sts]
  • Next round: k2tog, k2tog, k4, k2tog, k2tog, k4 [12sts]
  • Next round: k2tog, k4, k2tog, k4 [10sts]
  • Next round: cast off using three needle cast off on wrong side (great instructions here: http://www.crazyauntpurl.com/archives/2005/12/one_bassackward.php)
  • Weave in ends
  • Put camera in sock and enjoy!

That’s about it!

[Edited to amend decreases]

No comments: