Sunday 14 September 2008

Unexpected quality knitting time

I definitely seem to be getting back into this knitting lark again. I'm actually feeling excited in the 'just one more row/section/piece' way. This has mainly been due to having time on my hands combined with a need to keep off my feet. I was off work on Thursday afternoon and Friday due to my arthritis playing up and attacking my feet. First the right foot, then the left. I therefore turned on the TV/radio/CD as the mood took me, sat on my arse, and picked up my knitting.

I'm fairly close to finishing the pinwheel cardigan, just two more rounds to go, then the sleeves. The most excitement has been with the toy tortoise (or rather turtle as the pattern states). I'm making Sheldon for my friends little boy, he'll be two later this month. This is a fabulous pattern. I love that it's in two pieces, the shell is like a jumper that fits over the little body section with it's huge head. I'm loving it, although it's quite hard going on my hands. I've gone down a few needle sizes so that it makes a firm fabric that doesn't stretch to show the filling inside, but it can be a bit tough going at times, at least the shell was.

I've almost finished the body, can't complete it until the safety eyes arrive and are attached, I ordered some today. I've done one leg - didn't manage to do the others due to impatience wanting to do the top of the shell. I've just finished the top and cast straight on for the bottom. Have had to stop to give my hands a break.

IMG_1090

Yesterday saw the toy stuffing that I ordered online arrive. It came in a tiny plastic post bag which was bulging at the seems. I opened it to find it in another plastic bag with all the air squeezed out. When I opened that one, the stuffing expanded to about 10 times the size! It was amazing. Talk about tardis packaging. I'm only going to use fraction of it for this tortoise, so looks like I need to find more toy patterns. A dragon next I think, if I can find a good one.

Having had a restful weekend, my feet are a lot better, almost back to normal. Looks like work will be cutting into my knitting time next week :o(

No comments: