Sunday 27 April 2008

Sarah's Fault Socks...

...that's the official title of my new knitting project! I have no idea if this project will ever be complete, but it's been fun so far. This is what I've been up to today:

IMG_0728

Yes, it's the beginnings of a pair of socks. It seems that Sarah put something contagious in that PIF parcel! In no time at all I found myself adding a lovely, shiny set of knit picks 3mm dpns to my Options order - even though I hate dpns. Then I found myself browsing the web for sock yarn, found some on Etsy that I liked - even though I hate using thin yarn (I also surprised myself with the colour choice, but loving it so far). Finally I found myself searching Ravelry for a free sock pattern (I mean, is there anywhere else to look these days?). I definitely wanted to do toe up so that if I got fed up I could just make them really short!! I also like to idea of trying them on as you go. Found a pattern that I'm hoping I can do called Cut & Paste Socks.

I'm getting on remarkably well considering! My hands can be quite temperamental when either holding something small or holding something tight for a little while but so far they've not complained too much. To be honest, I'm finding the small dpns easier to manage than larger ones - although I've never used 5 before now, I generally use 4, so not sure if that has anything to do with it. I have a feeling it won't last...

I'm quite happy for this to be a pick-it-up-when-I-feel-like-it project. It will be quite interesting to see how I get on.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

You be careful!! Socks are super addictive for sure - I love that one touch was enough for you :o)Great choice on the DPNs - definitely the nicest I've used.

Here's a deal though - if you get stuck with them because of trouble from your hands, parcel them up and send them to me and I'll finish them for you - I don't want you not able to knit anything else all for the love of the handkint socks!

von said...

Oh Sarah, that's such a sweet offer! Thank you. I'm a stubborn so and so though, so even if it takes a while, I'll get to the end. I really am surprised at how I've got on so far, I wasn't expecting that.

I do love the dpns, they're such beautiful things I just love picking them up! They definitely add to the appeal :)