Saturday 6 October 2007

Drop everything!

I suddenly have a new priority. My boyfriends Mam will be 80 next month...80!?! We obviously need to get her something extra special, but she is soooo hard to buy for! I decided that the best thing to do was to make her something, so after lots of thinking (she's hard to make something for too!) and some help from the Ravelry forum, I've decided to make her a modified version of this Cable Comfort Throw (Ravelry link). I'm going to make it smaller and a bit chunkier.

This is quite a big project and I'm a bit concerned that I'm not going to get it finished but I'm going to give it a try. I'm also a bit concerned because my arthritis has been playing up and I'm not sure how much knitting I can do - I hope it's just the change in the weather setting me off and everything will calm down soon.

Keen to get started I went out to buy yarn for it today (I would have bought online but the post strike means that waiting for it to arrive would cut too far into my knitting time). I went to Yarn in Beeston, Nottingham, as I thought I'd prefer to support my LYS rather than Hobbycraft for such a big purchase. I've only been there once before (last weekend in fact) in the hunt for 6.5mm dpns, but they didn't have any (had to buy online in the end). The lady who served me was lovely and really helpful. I had no idea what yarn would be best - just needed something in white or cream, machine washable and CHUNKY. After much yarn pondering and fondling we decided that Patons Symphony would do the trick if I doubled it up. I've been working on a test piece to workout needle size, I started out on 15mm needles but changed to 12mm which are working out fairly well.

DSCF0279

I only have 5 balls as that's all they had, but they have ordered me some more. It's enough to be going on with.

At least I have another finished object! Yey! My green scarf is finished. I love quick chunky knits. I am wondering if I'm going to keep them though - they might end up as a birthday present for my sister-in-law...

DSCF0272

That priority list I made needs to be updated, it's not exactly going to plan! :o)

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Good luck with the throw - sounds like a lovely project.

von said...

Thanks Sarah

I'm really enjoying it, especially since it seems to be growing quite quickly! I'm really please we thought of making her something, it'sa far better idea than trying to find something special that she'd like. It's just a shame that some of my other stuff is having to wait. Too many projects, not enough time :o/