Monday 24 September 2007

Think pink (Denise interchangeable needles)

I gave in. After coming across interchangeable knitting needles on the web a while back, reading various blogs, and spending months telling myself they were an extravagance that should really put on my Christmas list and hope for the best…I crumpled, closed my eyes, and bought some.

I really preferred the look of the Boye ones, the colours, and the colour-coding made them *very* tempting but I was put off by the stories of the screw in connectors coming loose - although this only seemed to happen to a minority of people. Also the fact that the needles went down to smaller sizes than the Denise ones was a bit of a put-off - I just can’t use small needles, my hands would hate me. I was also generally put off getting *any* type as I was concerned that I wouldn’t be able to use the connectors, again due to my stupid arthritic hands - I’m making this sound worse than it is…well, no, I’m not, I do struggle with small things. Gah.

I decided that if I was going to do it (and I was), it was going to be the Denise ones. I wasn’t too keen on the blue ones so went for the pink.

They’re fab! I love them. They’re so smooth to knit with (although I’m going from using my current cotton-rich yarn on bamboo needles, to using the same stuff on these fellas). They just work really well.

Unfortunately my concern about the connectors was justified though, I almost did myself an injury when initially playing with them, although once I had a look at the instruction sheet I was thrilled to see there was an answer. They’ve thoughtfully put a little hole through the connector which you can fit a paperclip through for more leverage. Bingo. Pain-free needle changes!

I’m so happy with them I’ve already cast on a hat for a friends daughter. Knitting 6.5mm which I’m finding a little on the small side for my hands. I’ll persevere though and then go back to 8mm plus…

No comments: